Friday, December 31, 2004

Making movies and helping people...all in a day's work!

Didn't have much of a good sleep last night coz' I was thinking a bit too much about stuff, and because of the lack of sleep, I woke up today with a nose running like a tap all day long. Which probably means I should sleep a little earlier tonight, but I'm going to bed at an unearthly hour as usual, as it is now past 3am. I would've gone to bed earlier except that I'm waiting for a cd to burn. It's of the video that I took of my church christmas party on Sunday. Some of my church buddies have been bugging me to show it to them, and I've had to keep them on hold so I could nicely edit it and put in music and titles and cute stuff like that. I finished the editing in one day (after spending about 6 hours straight staring at the computer, taking a gym, dinner and shower break, and then spending a few more hours staring at the computer!), but burning the movie has been a problem. For some reason, my program wouldn't burn, and it took me a while to figure out I had to remove some special effects I added in before it would work. Stupid program. So I'm burning the cd now, and hoping it'll come out all nice and good.
Also decided to move my butt to really help the tsunami victims today by getting some empty boxes from Giant today to pack with items for them. Also bought some ready-to-eat food like crackers and packet drinks. And I emailed my friends to help give me some stuff to donate when I meet up with them at church. As soon as the boxes are full, I'm sending them to the Red Crescent Society in Ampang. Hopefully, they'll put it to good use. My parents haven't been much of an encouragement. They're so skeptical that any organisation collecting donations will put it to good use, that my mum isn't keen on donating anything. Just coz' of the possibility that donated money or items will be used for reasons other than intended. And when I told her I'm trying to collect things from my friends before I send them to Ampang, she acted like it was too much. Sigh.... I don't know what to say. Tens of thousands of people have lost everything, even loved ones, and are at risk of dying from starvation or disease, and all my parents care about is their own convenience. The most they would consider donating in terms of money is RM50. What is 50 bucks to millions of homeless people? It wouldn't feed a family for a week. I know my family can afford to give more, but I don't understand how they can look at all those unfortunate people on CNN every day and not be moved enough to give all they can. Even my 80 year-old grandma staying with us, who has hardly anything herself, gave me Rm50 to pass on to the aid organisations. For her, that's a lot of money. To my parents, who have comparatively much more, it's nothing. And to add to it, my dad even makes lame jokes about the disaster. Sigh... it's hard to believe that I inherited my genes from these people sometimes. :P Oh well.... I know they're not the only people like that. Sadly, I think it's a predominantly Chinese trait to be so 'kiasu' about giving their money. Although I am glad a great number of Malaysians have given quite a bit to the victims. Not all hope for humanity is lost just yet. Heh. :P
My cd's done burning, so I'm off to sleep.

No comments: