Monday, December 20, 2004

Næem's rising blood pressure...:P *revised!*

Yes I know I've been doing nothing but complaining since I got back to Malaysia... so sue me. This is my bloggy, and I'll gripe if I want to :P. I think my blood pressure has probably gone up at least 50% in the one week since I've been back. One main reason is, as I've mentioned before, because of the insane Malaysian drivers. In one week driving around, I've experienced:
1) Motorcyclists and drivers alike running red lights to save time
2) Drivers trying out their Formula One skills during heavy traffic
3) Drivers overtaking me from the left and then going to the right lane
4) Drivers cutting queue at the traffic light in front of KKK
5) Drivers behind me hugging my car's butt at 80km/h
6) Drivers who refuse to let me into their lane even though I signal that I wanna turn
7) Drivers who come into my lane without even signaling
8) Motorcyclists carrying their kids on their bikes without having them wear helmets
And last but certainly not least,
9) A driver nearly ramming my car when I had to stop suddenly at the traffic light, coz' he was too close to my car. Luckily for me, he didn't hit me. Unluckily for the lady driving behind the guy, she rammed into him.
I can pretty much guarantee I never felt so annoyed in my whole stay in Australia as I did in this one week I had driving on the road. And if that's not bad enough, the second reason for my probably increased blood pressure is even closer to home - my parents. My older brother once said his blood pressure went up as soon as our parents went to visit him in the USA, and I can completely understand why. I think 90% of my mum's conversation consists of complaining about something, arguing with my dad, or nagging. And ever since I got home, my parents have been having loud discussions/arguments about some issue relating to our apartment's resident committee. And because the apartment is small, my room door is not soundproof and my mum's voice can be heard a mile away, the only way I can completely drown out the noise in the living room is to jack up my stereo to over 60 decibels. At least. I'm just glad they're not arguing about some silly personal issues like they used to do all the time when I was younger. Coz' once they do that and I'm alone with either one of them, they start complaining about the other to me. And I've been the only kid living in the same house with my parents for the past many years coz' my eldest bro lives in Puchong, and my second bro is in the US. Not much fun being the only kid having to listen to this nonsense all the time from my parents. When I was younger, after listening to my mum telling me all the bad stuff about my dad and I actually started getting impatient with him myself, I got into trouble with my mum coz' I'm supposed to respect my dad anyway! And yes, I do know I shouldn't have behaved badly towards my dad, but geez, it's hard not to when I was being drilled 24 hours about all the annoying things he does, by my mum no less. And of course, my mum doesn't just get annoyed at my dad, but she gets annoyed at a heckuva lot of things. Especially when we don't do things her way. One particularly good example is when we wash the clothes. She usually does all the hand washing, and she has her own little 'system' of how to soak clothes in detergent, which buckets to soak what in and all.... and without explaining to me exactly what her system is, sometimes she gets me to do the washing. And when I screw up the system, I get a nagging. And when I ask her to explain what exactly she wants me to do so I don't screw up the system, she thinks I'm being incompetent. After a while I figured I just can't win with her.... :P And probably thanks to my dear old mum, I've learned to become easily annoyed at a lot of things...although to not as bad an extent as her. It's an attitude I've been trying to stop, but unfortunately one of the things that annoys me the most also happens to be my dad. Much as I hate to sound like an ungrateful brat, I can't deny that he does a pretty good job of driving me nuts too sometimes, albeit in a different manner from my mum. He doesn't get annoyed at the whole world, but he has certain habits, says certain things and has certain unfair prejudices against other people that can tick me off. Like he has this prejudice against Africans, and calls them 'dirty', 'rude', 'no class' people. I always disagree with him about that. And whenever we see a lousy driver on the road, the first thing he'll say before he's even seen the driver is that it's probably a woman driver. That of course, really bugs me, especially when I happen to be driving at the time. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my dad..... @_@
Obviously I know my mum loves me,and she nags me most of the time coz' she worries about me (.... my dad's true affection though is a bit doubtful at times, but that's another more personal issue which I don't think is appropriate here). And yes, I care about them both too.... but it's just that they're not the most fun people to hang around with, and I was perfectly happy living without them for a whole 10 months. And now that I have to live with the same old nonsense from them again, well, I'm obviously not overjoyed. But they are my parents after all, and I still feel bad about griping about them. I AM grateful for all they've done for me and providing for me and all....it's just not been particularly fun growing up with them and I'm not going to pretend that I'm ecstatically happy to be living at home with them again. It's sad, I know. Sometimes I wish I had parents who weren't always at loggerheads, or at least were a bit more optimistic about things so I would be the same way. But ah well, I can't change them, and I have to admit that I could have had it a lot worst. Still love em no matter how much I gripe about them.... though don't think I can say the same for the crazy Malaysian drivers. :P


No comments: