Monday, November 29, 2004

Settling in....

Ok, so I've been back from my holiday since Thursday, and on that same day I moved into my new place off-campus. It's a nice cosy little house, very close to the uni, and owned by this old grey-haired lady called Joan, who's also living in that house. I'm paying 80 smackers a week renting out a room at this place, which includes gas and water, and it's fully furnished, so I guess it's a pretty good deal. At least it's a really pretty house, nicely decorated (you know those old ladies, they have nothing better to do with their time than decorate their houses!), really clean (and clean up their houses too. :P), has a big-screen a tv (which my student residence house didn't have. How did they expect us to survive???) and Joan even lets me use her towels. So it seemed like a really good deal when I first moved in.
One thing I failed to remember is that renting a room in someone's house is a tad bit different from staying on-campus. On campus, I could do whatever I wanted, move in and out as I pleased and not worry about anybody breathing down my neck as long as I didn't trash the house or make enough noise to wake up the neighbourhood. On campus, everybody else in my house slept just as late, or even later as me, and we were all cool with it. I could take showers at 2am, or not bother to clean up the kitchen after cooking, or dump my stuff all over the place, and no one would care. But in this house, well, I like the fact that it's clean. But it's SO immaculately clean, that I feel I'd better not make even the slightest mess...not even leave any water around the kitchen sink area...or else I may suffer the wrath of the little old lady. I mean, she IS nice and approachable and all, but ever since I got here, she's kind of been nitpicking on some things I do and throwing so many rules at me. Like when I had a shower at 2am, I didn't realise would be loud enough to wake her up, and it ticked her off until the next day even. And when I left my room window slightly ajar when no one was home, she told me to close it next time coz' she's afraid thieves might get in. And she told me not to use her computer for more than an hour coz' she's afraid the motherboard will blow quicker if I use it for too long (darn, no blogging there!). And to clean up the stove after cooking, and wipe the dishes before keeping them away, and to turn off the washing machine taps after each use, and yadda yadda yadda....Which is all perfectly reasonable. I mean, I can't expect to live in her house without having to abide to some rules. But man, it just makes me miss the complete freedom to do whatever I wanted when I was on campus residences. It's like living with my parents again. Aaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!
Ah well, as long as she doesn't start disapproving of the Aussie boyfriends I bring home, I should be fine. ;)

No comments: