Monday, November 15, 2004

Holiday dilemma and da roo family

Now that I've actually had some time to think about it, I'm actually not much liking the idea of staying here in Australia to work over the summer. I'd be missing celebrating Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year with my family and friends, and most of my friends here would be at home over the summer. That means I'd be celebrating the holidays by myself! Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!! <:( I'm not looking forward to that. It wouldn't be so bad, of course, if I managed to find a new bunch of friends to hang with while I'm here and celebrate with. But chances are that I will have to work in Melbourne city, which is an hour and a half drive's away from Gippsland, since this place is so 'ulu', I wouldn't be able to find much work related to my field of study around here. Most of the work is up at Melbourne, where I know no one except Leon and his family, but they're all going back to Malaysia over the holidays too <:(((( So I really pray and hope to God that I will be able to find some work around Gippsland, so I don't have to be far from the friends I have here. I'm even considering working on a farm! Which I actually think would be fun coz' it would be an interesting experience, and I'd probably lose all the weight I gained here doing quite a bit of physical activity. Of course, I wouldn't get much experience related to my studies, which is the main setback. But I'd get to work with animals, which I really like to do. But then again, it would be hard to get work on a farm since they'd probably want people with experience in farm work, and who's going to be hanging around a bit longer than over two months. So I'm thinking I'll try my doggone best to get a 'real' job first before I start asking around at the farms!
Anyway, I went for a walk today and saw a whole bunch of kangaroos grazing at a field not far from where I'm staying now. They were on top of a hill surrounded by a fence coz' it was a farm. As I was walking along, I could see them from a distance, and so I climbed up the slope of the hill to get a better view of the kangaroos across the fence. Of course, I was as noisy as anything, and as soon as I could even glimspe them, they all saw me. So there I was, looking at the roos. And they were looking at me. And there were at least ten of them, of all different sizes, all staring right at me, wondering what the heck I was up to. They didn't hang around long enough to find out though, coz'a few seconds later, they all hopped away. That was pretty cool. Can never see a family of roos happily grazing around in Malaysia. One of the things I'd gladly stay here for. :)

No comments: