Friday, November 26, 2004

Holiday rundown 1 - Steve and Brisbane city

I'm back from my holiday in Brisbane, which was a pretty good one at that. Experienced quite a lot of things - hung around Brisbane city from Wednesday to Friday, went to Fraser's Island on Saturday, visited Australia Zoo on Sunday, went for my first ever skydive on Monday, took a much needed sleeping break on Tuesday and finally went for dolphin feeding at Moreton Island on Wednesday before I hopped onto my flight back to Melbourne. It was a busy one week alright, and even a bit stressful sometimes coz' I had to rush a bit here and there due to bad planning on my part. But that was part of the fun as well, as I will hopefully get around to explaining soon. I definitely wanna go through the details of what happened on each of those days, starting first of course, with Brisbane city.

Brissy city, quite frankly, was boring. In the first three days that I was there, I saw pretty much everything there was to see on the day I arrived. That day, me and Steve met up with his younger brother Ben. Perhaps the most interesting part of that day was seeing the differences in personalities between the two brothers... Steve is the loud, rather obnoxious type while Ben is quiet type. I would have rather high volume arguments/discussions with Steve on that day while Ben would just walk with us, keeping a low profile. I don't agree with quite a few mean things I've heard people say about Steve (which I won't go into)...he is a nice, friendly, easygoing guy and would make a good friend. He is strongly opinionated and outspoken about many things, which is probably one reason why a lot of people aren't too fond of him, but which is something I like about him coz' it's hard to find such strong characters to go up against. The thing I really can't stand about him (and this is not anything I haven't said straight to his face) is that he is pretty full of himself. Correction, VERY full of himself. Example 1: When we were at a bar a few weeks ago with some friends and we were talking about gay guys (don't ask me why), I asked him who he thought was the hottest guy there and he kept pointing to himself (Although in Brisbane when I mentioned that, he said he meant it as a joke. Ugh) Example 2: Whenever he took some photos of me, he would look at them and always think they looked fabulous just coz' he took them. And if that wasn't bad enough, he'd make fun of the photos I took. Example 3: When I wanted to buy some buns for breakfast, he said I didn't need to coz' he had two of his own. Now that comment crossed the line from obnoxious to downright disgusting in my books. And he also has no qualms about making fun of overweight people, which is why I got into the a big argument/discussion with him in the first place. I was pretty amazed the whole time that Ben hardly added anything to our discussions. Unlike Steve, he seems a lot less likely to clash with people. It's no surprise that only one of the brothers is attached, and no prizes for guessing who.

Anyway, back to Brisbane city now, which as I said was rather boring. It doesn't help of course that I'm no big fan of city life. I mean, what's the fun with looking at a bunch of buildings and inhaling car exhaust fumes and getting caught up in all the hustle and bustle everyday? I could hardly wait to get out to the beaches, or go bushwalking (a.k.a. hiking) at the parks and mountains outside of the city. But of course, there were a few nice sights to see in the city, including of course, the city itself. Which of course, calls for some photos!



That's me and my cousin Evelyn a.k.a. Evie, with Brissy in the background. If my memory fails me not, this was taken on Thursday, the day after I arrived.



That's Brissy at night, taken a few days later. Doesn't it just make you go "OoooOOOooo...preeettyyyyy...."?



That's the Steve next to me, and yes, that is a beach in the city. A man-made beach right in the heart of Brisbane city. Cool eh?

Of course, one of the nicest things I've found about Aussie cities is that most of them have nice big rivers running right through them. And here's Brisbane River! The big bridge is called Storey Bridge. Quite nice at night when it's all lit up.






One of the main modes of transportation is on the CityCat, which is a big catamaran that runs back and forth on the river. Very cool. I'd love to ride a big boat to work everyday!



And here's another nice bridge along the river, of which the name I didn't bother to find out.



Steve, Ben and I went snooping around the city for some interesting places and found the Customs building, which had a nice Victorian look. Couldn't help but take a couple of photos here.






And we also came across some big metal hands sticking out of the street. Wonder what happened to the rest of it...









We then wandered aimlessly around until we came to this nice Athens-like structure. Apparently some Anzac memorial thing. Quite cool.



Then we stumbled across (ok, ok, Ben took us to) the Brisbane Botanical Gardens, where I had some fun in the bushes, climbing trees and admiring big LOTR-like trees.










The next day when I went walking around with Evie, we took a few more piccys, including one nice flowery structure just around the man-made beach, and some of the local birds called Ibis. Very naughty birds these. Saw them stealing some poor little kid's food. Oh well.






Of course, I have more photos, but wouldn't wanna bore you all with the boring stuff. Anyway, I haven't even gotten to the fun bits yet, which were the other days of my holiday. But since this post is long enough, I'll leave that for later. Hope you enjoyed your tour of Brisbane city. :P

No comments: