Thursday, April 17, 2008

A boring blogpost about boredom

I am so bored.

I just went for interview last Tuesday for an environmental management job at Sime Darby Plantations. They said they want to make me an offer. They've been saying they will get the offer ready since last week. Until now, it's still not ready. I called the HR lady yesterday and she says she can only discuss it with the manager this Friday, then I can call her back late Friday afternoon. Means I can only get the offer earliest on Monday.

This would not be too bad if I was still busy at work. BUT I completed my project at TM on the 4th, and although I was slated for another project, I decided to tell the project manager that I would most likely be leaving the company, so that he could find a replacement for me. So I was on that project for a grand total of 3 days until he found a replacement (actually 2 replacements... although both are inexperienced newbies) then he decided to kick me back to the Accenture head office to await my fate.

So since Monday, I've been sitting at one quiet workstation in the head office shaking leg. I would *like* to do some work, but they can't put me on another project if I am going off. The only thing I can do is online training...which makes me feel like a leech coz' I'm doing the training for my own benefit and not the company's. And the longer I sit here, the more company's resources I'm wasting and the more bored I get. I'll probably tell them not to pay me for half month once I get the offer and I decide to resign... don't think it's fair for me to be paid for doing nothing here.

And though most people here leave me alone coz' they don't know me, there are some people I do know who ask me what I'm doing here. And I'm not very comfortable telling people I'm leaving when I haven't gotten the offer letter and it's still not confirmed. I especially don't want to get bombarded with questions like:

"WHYYY??? Accenture is such a good company! You're still quite new! Rant! Rave! Whine"

OR...

"Oh, so where are you planning to go? Sime Darby? To do what? Environmental Management? Is this like some kind of, 'Save the World' kind of thing?"

Yes, I've always dreamed of wearing red and blue tights and my underwear on the outside while making a living. Play me the Captain Planet theme song now please.

So while I continue to waste away at my head office, waiting forever and a day for that offer letter, I manage to keep myself somewhat sane by:

1) Chatting online with a friend from my old project who's also 'on the bench' a.k.a in between projects. Actually, I'm more like whining to him about how slow those Sime Darby people are and how bored I am and how long it takes to get from home to the head office and how incredibly slow the KTM is and how crazy the people are to get on it during rush hour (I've decided I'd rather drive all the way to Kelana Jaya and take the Putra LRT then use the KTM madhouse). I'm glad he' s nice enough to listen to my whining. :P

2) Watching Youtube videos of Weird Al Yankovic. And trying to do it in such a way that people around me don't notice I'm watching Youtube instead of working. Requires quite a bit of skill, I tell you. By the way, I do believe it's time to put some new music on my blog. *Hint hint*

3) Listening to the sometimes fascinating phone conversations of people around me. Don't really have a choice coz' they're pretty loud and might as well have a sign on their desk flashing "Listen to me NOW!"

4) Watching http://www.stickdeath.com/. But that kind of made me less sane, so I stopped.

5) Reorganizing my MSN messenger contacts and wondering who the heck some of the people on my list are, before I promptly delete them off my list.

6) BLOGGING.



I am so bored.

No comments: