Monday, April 21, 2008

The automated toilet flush conspiracy

Wow, just when I couldn't get any more unproductive at work, today I come into the head office and find that the internet connection is down. At least before this I could occupy myself by doing the online trainings, or watching stupid Youtube videos, or just wasting time surfing the net while trying to look like I'm working. With no internet I can't even do any of that, so the most productive thing I can do is write my next blog post on Word and wait for the net to come back to life so I can continue wasting my time online. Fortunately this week I booked myself a better workstation in the office, which is hidden behind some humungous cupboards so it's a lot harder for people to notice that I'm not doing any real work. Last week, the workstation I was at was a pretty open area…but I think I did a pretty good job of looking busy, coz' there was a new girl there sitting nearby whom I met after work, and she said she wanted to say hi to me but saw that I looked so absorbed in my work that she didn't want to disturb me. Oh yeah, I've so mastered the fine art of looking busy. Now I just need to make sure I don't die of boredom while waiting for the Sime Darby offer letter that never seems to come. I'm starting to wonder if maybe God is making them slow on purpose so I have an excuse to hang around Accenture until the end of the month and I can still get a full month's pay…which doesn't make me feel any less like a leech, but if I can get away with it, what the heck. I've heard of people here who sit around waiting for a project for up to 7 months, and they get paid while doing pretty much nothing all that time… so half a month's pay for me is probably pittance for them. Heh.

One thing about being in my head office in KLCC is that the facilities here are pretty good. The workstations are comfy and the pantry is topped up everyday with coffee, tea and these really awesome jam cookies that I can't seem to get enough of. But there is one soup-ed up facility that I don't really like… which are these sensor-activated toilet flushes.

You would think in theory that it's a massive convenience to have the toilet automatically flush itself after you are done releasing your unwanted fluids and other miscellaneous wastes… but in reality, it doesn't quite work out that way. What usually happens is this:

1) Go into toilet cubicle and shut the door

2) Sit on toilet bowl and proceed to do relevant 'business'

3) Occasionally lean too far forward, resulting in the sensor no longer detecting toilet occupant

4) Toilet flushes while occupant is still doing her business

5) Loud exclamations along the lines of "@$%#!!!" from toilet occupant

It's a bit amusing when I hear it happening to other ladies in the loo (what can I say, it's schaedenfreude), but after a few times of going through this myself, and sometimes haven't having to endure two or more unwanted flushes in a row, I now have the 'Mission:Impossible' theme playing in my head every time I go to the loo. My mission, if I choose to accept it, is to carry out my toilet business without causing the flush to activate prematurely. And every time I succeed, and get out of the toilet without any unwanted premature flushings, I look back, waiting for the dang thing to flush itself…..and it doesn't.

I swear it's a conspiracy by the toilet bowl manufacturers to annoy us.


Hallelujah, my office internet connection is back up now, so now I can do some slightly more productive things than blogging about annoying automated toilet flushes!

No comments: