Monday, February 11, 2008

Chomper's CNY greeting

Yes, I know, it's already the 5th day of Chinese New Year so this is kind of late, but I was having another one of my blogging PMS periods... which are those times when I am just not in the mood to blog even though I have might have things to blog about, but usually because I actually don't have anything to blog about. In this case, it's the former and I'm just not in the mood to blog. This is what happens when I'm one of those very fortunate girls who don't suffer from normal PMS...I come up with other excuses to have it! Only thing is that blogging PMS can happen any number of times instead of just once a month... and it can lasts a few days, weeks, or even more than a month. Heh. And this is where you go (o_O)?

ANYwaaayyy, during the months leading up to CNY, I thought since it's going to be the year of the Rat and I own a whole hoard of African rats a.k.a. gerbils, it would be pretty neat if I could teach one of them to do that cute little gesture where you put your hands together and greet people "Gong Xi Fa Cai!". So I decided to try and teach the trick to my smallest and cutest and unfortunately, dumbest gerbil, Chomper (so named because when she was young she liked to 'chomp' on my fingers for no reason. But I also call her by many other names, such as Little Bugger, Poochi, Macha, and whatever other silly cutesy names I feel like calling her). Chomper is stupid coz' unlike the other gerbils, when I hold her in my hand, she cannot tell how high it is and that to jump off my hand onto the ground would be rather painful. As such, she tends to zip off my hand whenever she has the chance, and has had a couple of painful falls (which, I believe, probably increased her stupidity). I tried to to teach her this neat little CNY trick in the hopes that learning a trick would somehow increase her intelligence slightly and make up for whatever brain cells she lost in those few falls.

So my last few months were spent painstakingly trying to get Chomper how to clasp her little paws together and wish Gong Xi Fa Cai... and every time she got it down I would give her a good belly tickle with my finger and a little treat to munch on. And after many months... I have finally succeeded!

Too bad I forgot to teach Chomper some manners in the process. But anyhow, mission accomplished! Happy Chinese New Year from Chomper and me and all my other gerbils and probably my dog Sassy. May you and your family be blessed with prosperity and joy and all that other good stuff this year!

Oh, if you haven't figured it out by now, the whole thing about me teaching Chomper how to do the CNY handclasp greeting thing is a load of bull poop. It's pretty easy to get her to look like that while she's holding a kuaci with both paws and busy stuffing her face with it. ;)

No comments: