Thursday, April 27, 2006

Breaking the news to the top authorities... x_x

Well, within all the gleefulness of getting into a new relationship, there must come the not-so-gleeful time of telling the top authorities, otherwise known as the parents, about the new guy in my life. I supposed since it's pretty much official now, I should be telling my mum and dad soon or else they might find out some other way and I'd get into trouble for not telling them myself. But then, my dad is the typical Chinese stick-in-the-mud kinda guy who will keep telling me "When I was younger I didn't started 'pak toh-ing' until I finished my studies and got a good job and was making my own money, bla ble bla ble bla bla...". Trust me, it's one of the many talks I hear so many times from him I could repeat it over and over like a broken tape recorder. So I didn't really know how to tell him. I think he sorta had an idea that I was going to Malacca to see a 'special guy' but I think he just didn't want to think about it. But today, he saw that very beauuuuutiful sunset pic of me with Gerald as my laptop wallpaper and he had this funny look on his face for a while before he finally asked who the heck is that. Sooooo what to do but to tell him lor. Fortunately, even though my dad's a stick-in-mud kinda guy in his belief about 'pak toh-ing', he's also pretty easy going and makes dumb jokes all the time. So after I told my dad a bit about my guy, he wanted to get a better look at the picture to see if my bf 'looked like a crook'. And once he did, he said "Yeah, he looks like a crook".... In a joking way, of course.... and I just rolled my eyes at him as I always do when he does that. Haha, I know Gerald will read this, so don't worry, dear. My dad will probably ask you all sorts of silly things, but he's not that bad. And he really doesn't have a rifle anymore. :Þ

So that was one parent down. My mum, I was a bit more worried about, coz' I met Gerald through the net, and she's hears all these stories about guys who chat up girls on the net and make the girls do all sorts of stupid things for them (like meet up with the guys then get raped, or give all their savings to them, etc...). And it doesn't help that her own sister, who is only a few years younger than her (but quite a eccentric character, IMHO) knew this guy on the net from the US, and she went all the way there to see him, only for him to fleece her of her money. So basically, I know my mum has the idea that all guys on the net are crooks. :Þ So maybe I should've waited til he was going to come see me in Subang before I actually told her more about him. Coz' I decided to tell her today, and she seemed pretty ok with the idea of me being with a guy.... until she found out that I met him through the internet only a few months ago. Then she flipped out and gave me a good earful about all the crazy guys there are on the net... *Sigh* She doesn't seem to remember that there are millions of people who use the net (half of whom are guys, of course) and while of course there are quite a few bad hats who use the internet to fool other people for their gain, there are a lot more people are normal and don't have such bad intentions. There are soooo many people who meet through the internet and then meet up in real life and become pretty good friends.... or more than good friends, as in my case. But of course, she doesn't know about the good internet relationships coz' all she reads about in the news are the internet scams and paedophiles and rapists and so on. Of course, I would've loved to try and talk some logic into her, but from experience, trying to explain why I do what I do to her is interpreted as 'rebelling' and 'talking back', which gets her even more worked up. So I just shut up, til she decided she gave me enough of an earful. *Sigh* It's pretty frustrating when I try to make an effort to be transparent with her on something like this and she gets on my case about it without at least trying to know more first.... I don't think she can really blame me for not opening up to her. She could've asked me to explain why I like this guy, what did he do or tell me that makes me think I can trust him or something like that, instead of freaking out as soon she hears me say 'internet friend'. She's met some of my friends before, and she knows I mix around with good people, and therefore I should be a pretty good judge of character. Why does she immediately have to assume I have no brains to judge the people I meet through the net, and I'll simply fall for any nice things they hear from guys over the net? If guys wanna try and fool me, what difference does it make whether I know them in person or over the internet? I have met plenty of guys on the net who try to chat me up, and I didn't bother with 90% of them coz' they just didn't sound like good guys to me. I feel like letting her know that fact, but I have a feeling she won't be convinced. I suppose the only way to convince her I'm not a dumbass is to let her meet Gerald herself when he comes to see me so she'll know he's really being genuine. *Eeeee....geramgeramgeram....*

Haha, I think my Gerald is probably going to be quite stressed out when he comes to see me...or more precisely....my parents! :Þ Don't worry too much dear, I'm sure they'll be nice to you... they might give me problems, but not you! :D Haha, how very reassuring of me.... o_O

No comments: