Saturday, September 22, 2012

Up the wall

This is the kind of thing my mum does to drive me the wall:

I've been keeping a turtle for a couple of years, which I once found on a road and decided to keep it. I have no problem feeding it and caring for it myself and I only need her to care for it when I'm outstation. But yet she takes it upon herself to give it water and food in her own time coz' she thinks I don't do it often enough, although I try to explain to her that the turtle only sleeps all day therefore getting water twice or three times a day is enough, and it doesn't even eat everyday. But anyway, she still does it herself coz' I apparently don't do a good enough job.

Fine, you wanna do something coz' you think your way is superior then I'm ok with it. Except that as with everything else in life, she complains about the turtle. When I'm not around, she complains to my dad about how she always has to take care of it, and it's a problem for her and yadda yadda yadda. Again, this is after I have told her that I can do it MYSELF. But she doesn't believe that I'm capable of it for God knows what reason.

So I decided, fine, if she's just going to make it her problem and complain about it, I'll get a new home for it. So a few months back, we took to a turtle pond in KL hoping it would like the place. Well, unfortunately I have the only turtle in the world that can't swim. So when it was in the pond,it looked like it was going to drown. So we took it back and been keeping it since. And it was not ME who insisted to take it back, but her. And yet she would still occasionally complain about it to my dad.

So now that I'm moving out, I tried to find someone to adopt the turtle instead. And I did. Today I was all ready to send the little bugger over. But guess what? My mum had aaalll these questions about who these people were, how can we know that they will take care of it properly, would they lose it, yadda yadda yadda. In the end, she said she doesn't want to give it away coz' she doesn't trust that anyone else can take good care of it. So I had to tell the other person that  it ain't gonna happen.

So essentially it goes to show that whatever anyone does in the world, it's not good enough for my mum, so she ends up doing everything by herself and at the same time she will complain about why nobody can ever do things the way she wants us to.

Why? Why? Whyyyyyy????

2 comments:

cell said...

i think she actually loves the turtle and doesnt know any other way of expressing it..probably the same with you, she loves you but doesnt know how to express it other than doing things for you or nagging you. i can understand coz my mum's the same!

Carol said...

I don't doubt that she loves me, or that she has done a lot of stuff for me because she loves me. What I cannot understand is why she must complain about things and yet refuse to accept any solution to fix the problem because the solution is never up to her expectations. The turtle is just one example out of many. She also complains about having to do so much to clean the house. Yet when my father got one of those robotic floor cleaners or offered to get a maid to clean the house, she didn't like the robot and she refused the maid. Simply because she thinks both are not up to what she wants. If nobody can match up to what you want, why complain about it?