Monday, January 23, 2006

Granny's accident, and a rip-off hairdo

Well, this happened a week ago, but since I haven't had the time to report it so far, I shall do it now: My grandma had a fall while I was taking her to church last Sunday. Basically she was going down the stairs (which she normally does ok, so I didn't think anything would happen) when she slipped or buckled on the last step (fortunately not anything higher) and landed on her behind on the level floor. It didn't sound too hard, but she was in pain, so I took her back home again and left for church, thinking she was just be sore for a while. Later on in the afternoon, my mum found out that my grandma couldn't get up from her chair and she wasn't sitting properly. And being the amazingly non-complaining person that she is, my grandma didn't say a peep about how much pain she was in, so once my mum realised grandma was having trouble, she alerted my dad, and my dad woke me up from my afternoon nap. After which we did a whole lot of wondering what to do and who to call, and eventually my dad, for some reason, didn't to send her to a nursing home in Cheras, instead of a hospital first. Apparently because the nursing home gave free doctor's checkups, so they could check what was wrong with her. So we called them to help, they sent over an ambulance (coz' we were afraid to move granny) and we promptly flew all the way to Cheras, bypassing all the tolls and long traffic light queues along the way coz' of the ambulance (that's the way to travel!). Anyway, the people there could only do an x-ray on grandma the next day, and found out that she had a fractured right femur (the big bone in your thigh, for the non-biologists). So now she's being cared for at the home, and wearing some support thingy that will supposedly help her heal faster.

Fortunately, she seems quite happy at the place because it's big and clean, and the people there are nice to her, although some of the other old folks tend to make a bit of noise ever so often. I feel kinda like kicking myself coz' I could've prevented her fall that day somehow, but ah well, I can't fret over what is done. I'm glad at least that my grandma isn't too fussy about things, and is happy where she is.

Anyway today, I decided in the spur of the moment to go get a haircut with Mei Ling. After lunch, we went on a little road trip around SS15 and SS14 to find a cheap haircut with highlighting, and found all of them a bit too expensive. So we decided to do the cut on our own some other day, and go to my place to do red highlights for each other coz' I thought I had some red hair dye. Turns out the hair dye that I thought I had, wasn't there. So then we decided to go to a hairdressor in Court 2 that was suggested by another friend coz' she said it was cheap. So we went there, met the lady, who seemed like a nice Christian lady, smiling a lot and all, and she told us that haircuts for us would cost RM12, and highlights would cost about RM50 for Mei Ling and RM60 for me since my hair was longer. It seemed like a good price, so we said ok.

Mana tahu, once she cut our hair and got the dyes ready, she just started applying as though she was doing a full colour on my hair instead of highlights. So I reminded her that I wanted highlights, and she was like "Full colour is nicer than highlights!" and so I said ok, and she convinced Mei Ling to have a full colour too. I suspect that she wanted to do a full colour coz' it's less time consuming than doing highlights, especially for two people, and she had a waiting customer. Later on, when we were done, she said she had to use an extra tube of dye for my hair coz' it was so long, so the cost of the whole colour became RM80. Plus my cut, which was RM12, I had to pay RM92 for the whole do. And now I'm pretty pissed coz' I feel ripped off by that lady. She insisted on a full colour even though I asked for highlights, then charged me a lot more than the initial price she gave us for an extra tube of dye she didn't even tell me she used! Crap! And she acted so nice all the time too, so I didn't even make a fuss at the time. Now that I realise it, I told her off through an sms. No rude works or anything, but just told her I felt cheated coz' she charged me for something I didn't ask for without telling me. *Sigh* Never again will I got to a hairdressor for colouring or highlighting or anything else except a normal cut. And next time, I'll make absolutely sure of the price first before agreeing to anything, and I'll refuse to pay anything more if they add anything extra to my hair without asking me if I'm willing to pay first. Geez... and to think that she was so nice too. I dunno if she intended to rip me off, but I'm not putting it pass her. I'm definitely not gonna recommend her to anyone, especially since one side of my hair turned out to be longer than the other. Ack, if only I could find a trustworthy hairdressor who doesn't try to rip off people and can cut hair really well without charging a bomb. Does such a creature exist in this world?? :P

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year to everyone, just in case I don't get round to the whole festive greetings on time! Wish you all prosperity and joy and lotsa lotsa wealth this year. Good when you have to pay ridiculous prices for one silly haircut.

1 comment:

Dissociated Mind said...

I feel so sorry about the events befalling ur hair and pockets.. I would've been so pissed off as well... happened to me before where a haircut ended up a different price. I didn't wanna kick up a fuss, being the typical Msian who didn't wanna make too much noise...