Thursday, May 26, 2005

In general....

If there's one thing that kinda bugs me is people making generalizations about other people based on race, religion, looks, certain characteristics, or based on pretty much anything. Even if it's a good generalization, I don't think it's fair to lump people with certain traits/abilities in a certain group and then believe they all do certain things the same way. Like for some reason, whenever I tell anybody that I'm on scholarship from Monash, most people seem to think that either a) I'm such a genius that I don't need to study at all and I can still get superb grades, or b) I do nothing else but study so I can get good grades. Of course, those are not bad assumptions, but they are still a tad (but not immensely) annoying for the simple reason that they are not true.
Firstly, I have to study hard like everyone to get good grades, although granted my good grades may also be due to some genetic disposition to excel under the slave-driving education system of university. But genetics or not, I still have to study. If I don't study, the answers aren't gonna miraculously come into my brain through some divine intervention during the exams. I'll just flunk! And yet, I go around talking to my buddies, and whenever in comes to the topic of exams, some of them automatically assume I'll ace without breaking a sweat. Case in point this conversation I had with individual A some time back:
A: So have you started studying yet?
Me: Nope
A: Oh, you'll do fine coz' you're a genius
Me: -_-'

That's not so bad. But just as equally annoying is the assumption that I do nothing else with my life except study. Excuuuse me, but I spent half my days on the weekends going out and doing stuff at Taekwondo class and church. And on the weekdays, well, I spend a considerable amount of time bumming in front of the tv. Heh. Maybe I don't go out shopping or partying a lot, but that's only because I have better things to do with my time and money. Yet I get be part of wonderful conversations such as these:
B: Wei, you started studying already ah?
Me: Nope
B: Yeah right!
Me: -_-' If you're not gonna believe me, why ask me in the first place?
B: Hehehe! *malu*

Of course, I'm not griping about this to make myself sound like some poor victim, coz' after all, how can a Monash full scholar possibly be a victim eh? *bright shiny grin here* Ahem...I'm just highlighting the annoyingness of making generalizations about people. Buuuut I guess everyone does it to some extent, including me (although I try very hard not to!). I just hope that people would make a conscious effort not to make generalizations, coz' once generalizations turn to prejudice, that can turn to dislike, which can turn to hate, which can manifests into a heckuva lot of other uglier things. But that's another story. :D

No comments: