Wednesday, February 09, 2005

CNY lunch and thoughts on the Catholic church

Had a good Chinese New Year day today, where my parents had a little lunch for my and my brother's friends. Most of my friends seemed to have 'balik kampung', so I only had a couple of my taekwondo friends, Chun Hau and Rau come over. My instructor promised he would definitely be here today, but without even calling me, he decided not to show up and told the other two to inform me. Sigh...well, he's a pretty good guy so I'll forgive him for now... and him a good walloping the next time I see him, hehe! Also had some of my relatives come over, which included my dad's cousin's son named Adrian, who also happens to be working as a pastoral worker in a Catholic church somewhere in Sunway. We got round to talking and somehow or another he ended trying to convince me that the Catholic church is the one true church, and that some of the things Protestants believe about the Catholic church aren't true, and yadda yadda yadda. Bleh. Even had the whole pamphlet thing to show me to help his case. He did sort of answer some of the pressing questions like why Catholics think it's important to pray to Mary even though the Bible says we can just pray directly to Jesus ourselves. Or why the Pope is given such high reverance and whatever he says he is taken as gospel truth, even though he just another ordinary sinful guy. Or why the Catholics go through so many seemingly mindless rituals and traditions that don't seem to be biblical. Adrian didn't have enough time to really answer all those such questions thoroughly...but enough to make me think that the Catholic church isn't all as whacked out as I thought is was. And if I really feel like it, later on I might work up the energy to check up more on this topic myself so I can make a more-informed conclusion.
But even if I were convinced that the Catholic church isn't just full of hogwash rituals that people do just to be 'religious', and there is a good biblical reason for why they do what they do....it's still unlikely that I'll jump back to the Catholic church for that reason. Yeah sure, maybe it's true that the Catholic traditions ARE important traditions carried down from the Jesus' time, at least according to 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (taken from that cute little pamphlet)...but the problem is even though it may be important to continue those traditions, the danger is that people will just DO the traditions blindly for the sake of being 'religious' without even fully understanding the reasons or purposes behind those traditions. For people who honestly fully understand the reasons for these traditions and do them wholeheartedly for God without ulterior motives, good for them and I hope they keep it up. But for someone like me who has a problem doing anything wholeheartedly for God...I don't see the point in joining a Catholic church and regularly partaking in their traditions when I know that if I do, it more likely be just because I wanna 'go with the flow', or 'do my religious duty', or whatever other stupid reason, when I really should be doing it to honour God. And I think the truly best way to honour Him is through the way I live...not through regularly performing religious rituals in the hope that it will be pleasing to Him. Once I get the former down pat, maybe I'll consider going back to the Catholic church. Which means, more I'll probably never set foot in another Catholic church again. Haha! :P

1 comment:

Dissociated Mind said...

Hey... I've been interested in this topic for quite a while now. Lemme know what u find out one day, okay? I'll try to find time to do it myself.