Thursday, May 31, 2007

Slow but steady action?

It just came out in the news recently that some mamak in Kuala Terengganu was slapped with a hefty fine of RM20,000 or something like that because that raised the price of their Milo drinks to RM1.80 from RM1.50 or so after the recent increase in salary for government employees. Of course, I am quite pleased that they are finally doing something to curb the problem of raising prices indiscriminately, but it does beg the question, why do something about it only now? I mean, all this time the prices of practically everything had been going up with no corresponding increase in salaries, so why is it only now the government has decided to act against it, and in Kuala Terengganu of all places, which is such a backward part of Malaysia the prices of everything are probably still lower than anywhere else anyway. What about other mamaks around here, where the price of most drinks are already at RM1.80 or so. What about the ever escalating price of petrol? Why don't they do something to stop that? Or why not forget about imposing a toll on the new SMART tunnel in KL, and wiping that cheeky smirk off Samyvellu's face when asked whether the toll rates for the tunnel would be high and he replied "Of course lah!". I think everyone knows he makes more than he needs of the taxpayers' money. At least the government makes efforts to ensure the prices of certain controlled food items do not sky-rocket during festivals and all, and for that, they at least deserve SOME commendation, I think.

Another thing that I read about in the same paper was that they are also going to take action against car owners whose car windows are heavily tinted. Apparently, heavily tinted car windows pose some sort of security risk, and so the everyday Joes are no longer allowed to have their car windows with heavy tints (actually this is been a rule for a long time, but only now they are going out to enforce it. Dum de dum....), but heavy tints are only allowed for VIP cars. Oh, what a shocker. Well, I am not particularly bothered by cars with heavily tinted windows. After all, I always thought it would be fun to make faces into a heavily tinted car without being able to see the expression on the car owners face. :P But I think if the government really wants to make roads a little safer, they should also go after cars that have bright white headlights instead of the normal yellow ones. I tell you, every time one of those cars with white headlights is behind me, I have to make sure I don't look into the rear view mirrors just so I don't see the lights and get as blinded as a bat.

And they should also go after those nuts go drive so close to the car in front of them, their car could practically touch the one in front. Everyday when I drive to work along the highway, there's this one stretch of road just before my office where, without fail, there will always be some quack driver behind me who drives so close to me and flashes me to get out of the way so they can overtake me. They don't care that I need to keep to that lane. They dont' care that they are driving way above the speed limit. They just a happily flash away. And sometimes I just get so annoyed, I stay on that lane anyway just to bug them. Bwahaha!

And they should also go after the super annoying people who double park in busy shop areas like Taipan or SS2, and then run off somewhere and then they don't care if the driver of the car they are blocking comes back and needs to get out. And even though said driver honks so loud, everyone in the whole shop area hears it except for the superbly annoying driver who seems to conveniently lose his sense of hearing during that time. I have had my fair share of urges to smash the windows of cars double parked in front of my car and releasing the handbrake so I can move it out of the way. Fortunately (for the other car), they came back before I really lost my patience and did that.

Ah well, if I were to tell about all the annoying drivers that police should go after, I could go on and on, but those are my main gripes. So far, our local police seems to do little to curb these problems... but for the few who actually do make the effort, I salute them. Let's work to keep our roads safer and the price of our Milo ais not higher than RM1.50!

No comments: