Friday, May 18, 2007

One more week to a new American Idol!

I've been wanting to blog about American Idol Season 6 for ages, especially when Sanjaya was still in the competition so I could speculate on how on earth he managed to get into the Top 12 and still hang around til he was finally kicked off at at 7th place (and what was he thinking when he decided to get 7 ponytails on his head??)... but I haven't had the time until now, and after this week there wouldn't be much point anyway coz' next week is the finale! And today's episode saw the best vocalist of the lot, Melinda Doolittle, get kicked off the show at 3rd place. I wasn't really a big fan of her, but I agree with pretty everyone else who watched the show that she was such a consistently good singer, I expected her to win American Idol. But surprise, surprise, she got cut in the semi-finals, and now the two left standing are Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis. Now, me thinks Jordin is also a ready good singer, I pretty much expected her to get into the finals too after Lakesha got kicked.

But the contestant I've been rooting for throughout the show was Blake, whom from the beginning I thought was the best of the guys, even though I didn't think he would have a chance of winning with such good black female singers around (asides from Melinda, Jordin and Lakesha, there was also Stephanie Edwards, who was also a very good singer but had one very boring performance in one of the first few rounds of the Top 24, after which she was untimely kicked off the show). Not that his singing is particualarly fantastic, and I still prefer rock to the R&B sort of stuff he likes to do... but I really like him coz', for one, he can beatbox SUPERBLY well, which already sets him apart from the rest, and also, he's the first AI idol I've seen who can dance and sing at the same time... and of course, he's also pretty cute. Hehe! Plus, Simon commented on this week's show that he likes Blake coz' he takes risks by rearranging most of the songs he sings, instead of playing it safe like most of the other contestants. Which makes everyone wonder what on earth he'll do to his next song, which makes his performances really interesting! For example, in his rendition of Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", he actually rearranged the verses so it was R&B-ish and he beat-boxed, but when it reached the chorus it went back to rock mode... and as strange as the idea sounds, the song actually came out really well! And for some reason, I also loved his beatboxing on his version of "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee Gees, even though the judges didn't seem to fancy it too much.

So suffice to say, I was much elated to find out that Blake is in the finals for the Americal Idol title, and I REALLY hope he wins! I mean, there's already a black chick American Idol who can sing super well, but there's no white guy American Idol who can beatbox to a classic rock song and not only make it work, but sound really good. I'm even considering buying his cd when it comes out!.... Ok, maybe not. There's always the illegal downloads. La dee da di daa...

No comments: