Sunday, August 06, 2006

Clay colleague, scary sales, university after-effects and other miscellaneous nonsense

Once again, I'm sitting here feeling kinda braindead after another night of little sleep and having to wake up early for work (dang, I hate working Saturdays). I did have a reason for staying up late last night though. One of my colleagues is leaving to continue her studies and today was her last day at the office, and I thought since she's been pretty nice, I'd give her a little gift or something. I had recently bought some new special clay that's pretty good for making pretty much anything we can think of, and since I'm not really into buying gifts from a store coz' that's so impersonal, I thought I'd make a little clay figurine of a Mad Scientist....which is supposed to look like a cute little version of my colleague. Not quite sure if it came out that way, but it's the thought that counts. :P The rest of us were pretty prepared to take over her table and stuff after she packed up today, coz I decided I want her table (coz' now I'm sitting behind another colleague and there's not much space for us to move around without bumping into each other's chairs), so I was dumping some of my stuff on it. And another colleague wanted her drawer, which has little wheels on it to move around, so he took it. So we were pretty much vultures hanging around to salvage her stuff. Bwahahaha!

We also had to sit through a sales talk on how to approach and negotiate with schools about having our classes in their schools. So now I pretty much have to be one of those annoying sales people who have to talk crap about how good their 'product' is and all that stuff. Bleh, the irony of it all. I have to turn into one of my pet peeves! If only the company was bigger, then I could concentrate on doing a few things like classes and birthday parties, instead of having to do EVERYTHING. But oh well, if I do really well and get a lot of schools in, hopefully I get a good pay raise next time it's time for salary evaluation. Woo hoo!

Anyway, I was thinking about how sad it is that I kinda have so much I wanna blog about, yet everytime I come home, I feel too braindead to really blog about anything good. I miss the times when I would really think through and analyze stuff, and the times I could really write lots of poetry and even some good songs. Now I just don't have the time and energy. And all I wanna do when I come home is watch tv or surf the net or play games, then sleep. How sad. I think all those years in university has caused my brain cells to deteriorate to mush, and now my brain is programmed to just "Work, Eat, Sleep, Work, Eat, Sleep, Work, Eat, Sleep" to spare it the agony of having to think to much....just to make up for all those years at uni. No wonder I've been saying so many silly things at office. I don't even wanna go into that. It's embarassing.

So anyway, I was reading my big brother's blog today, and just wanted to share something interesting he wrote.... just coz' I'm too lazy to think of something interesting to write, myself:

While (my friends and I) sat and ate ice-cream waiting for the show to start, we started talking and eventually the conversation came round to how fast some people decide to get married. Rachel and Wisam had known each other for two months, and then he proposed to her. We compared that courtship to a drag race. Sometimes you just know where you need to go, and there's no sense taking corners, you just go in a straight line as fast as you can. Then Kevin said Roy had proposed pretty quickly too. I'd been subject to a few comments about my singleness of late, so I thought I'd ask Roy what the correct method of courtship was. He, being a pastor, surely wouldn't give me bad, worldly advice. You know, the sort you get from magazines.

He said "Well, first, you make a move. Then you wait for her to make a move. Then you respond with a move, and then she makes another move."

I blinked a couple times. "So it's like chess?"

"Yes, it's like chess. Then eventually, after a lot of moves, you ask her to marry you, and that's checkmate."

"Huh, ok."

"Yes, basically you're asking a girl if she'd like to play chess."

I thought about that for a bit, then I asked "Well, what happens if you make three moves in a row?"

He shook his head. "No you're not allowed to. Then you lose. However, while you're waiting for her to make a move, you can remind her that you made a move."

"Isn't that in itself considered a move?"

"No, it's just a reminder."

I thought about it a bit more, and then decided I was neither good at chess or courtship. Maybe someday she'll just fall in my lap when I'm not paying attention. I kicked back, finished my ice-cream, watched the fireworks, and looked around me from time to time at all the chessplayers, young and old, sitting on folding chairs, lying on the grass, gazing up at the sparkling, smoky sky.

No comments: