Thursday, July 13, 2006

Of bad comedy and cell cities...

Ooh, I forgot to write in my last blog entry that the day after I gave my 2 cents on Fly FM, they had Bad Comedy Thursday on Fly FM again. So just for fun, I decided to call up on the way to work and tell a joke. And this Fly Guy will give a nice bell sound if the joke is good, but play a buzzer sound when the joke is really bad, and I got the bell, so that means he thought it was a good joke. But apparently my joke was much longer than he wanted, so he told me that the book War and Peace is slightly shorter than my joke. :P And then apparently, later on the in the day he replayed my clip over the radio again, but edited it to sound like I was talking for hours... like I would be telling the joke and every few seconds, Fly Guy would say "5 minutes later...", "20 minutes later...", "3 hours later..." :P I didn't actually hear it myself, but a friend said that he heard it. Luckily I didn't hear it though, or else I would've called up Fly Guy and really blabbered his ears off. Haha! Anyway, I won't tell the joke here, coz' it's more fun to tell it face to face. Hehe!

Anyway, I just did my very first Mad Science birthday party last Sunday at a Burger King joint in Damansara. We have a partnership with BK, so it wasn't a full-fledged party, just a short and simple one. And I think it went really well for my first time. No major screw-ups or anything, and the kids enjoyed it... though I think they were pretty blur coz' they didn't laugh when they were supposed to. The parents seemed to be more entertained than the kids! Well, it really helps that I have tons of experience dealing with kids and doing performances. So doing a birthday party show is like easy peasy to me. The only problem is making sure all the experiments work out right during the show and trying not to forget to do anything, especially for the full-fledged parties which have more activities. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem seeing as it's not like university level science or anything.... though I do have to say, I'm surprised at the level of depth in science we had to teach kids these days. I just taught a class on the different parts of cells to primary school kids.... and I don't remember learning the parts of cells until I was in upper level secondary school! Yikes! At this rate, these kids will be doing their masters while they're in secondary school.... But even though most of these kids know a lot more than I expected, I can still surprise them quite a bit. Like when I was teaching my Monday class about cells, I started off drawing out a map of an imaginary city (which was supposed to represent the cell, but I didn't tell them that) and this city had a government that controls everything (like the cell's nucleus), a power plant to generate energy (like mitochondria), constructions workers to make building (ribosomes that make proteins), garbagemen that dispose of the wastes (lysosomes) and a post office where stuff is packaged and sent off around the city (like the golgi apparatus which distributes stuff within the cell). Yes I know, the terms are scary enough to freak out a grown-up... see why I'm surprised that I have to teach kids all this stuff??? Anyway, after drawing my 'city' map, I eventually told my kids to imagine that the city was as small as their school... then as small as a 1m x 1m square... then smaller than the distance between my thumb and index finger put really close together. And at this point, all the kids are looking at me in dumbfounded silence with a look that says "Huh?? What kind of city is that???" And I'm thinking "Hehe, yes! I got 'em!" And that's when I explain that a cell is just like a city. Haha, it takes a lot of patience trying to keep a class of noisy kids under control, but once I reach that point when I know I have them in awe, the satisfaction is all mine. Bwahahaha!

Ok, I gotta sleep now. Work tomorrow!

No comments: