Friday, July 21, 2006

More office news

Hmm... it would seem that my dog Sassy is in that time of the year again where she gets all frisky. She has little cushiony mat on the floor which a friend gave to us for her to sleep on, and she usually ends up sleeping on the floor anyway. But last year when she was in heat, she would try, with all her little puppy power, to roll up the mat sideways, climb on it and then....em.... get frisky with it. And as I am writing now, it seems it's that time of the year for her again. I thought it would've stopped after spaying her! Oh well, she ends up panting like crazy after numerous failed efforts to roll up that thing, so at least it gives her some exercise. :P

Anyway, I've been working for at Mad Science for one month, and now I'm officially confirmed. Woohoo! I didn't know it before, but most of the other instructors had to go through a probation period of 3 months. So I dunno why my boss decided to confirm me after only one month.... but I ain't complaining. Well, I did remember him saying during my interview that he thinks I have a lot of potential in helping to expand the company.... hehehe... Ok, stop now, head getting big.

Though I know I'm pretty blessed to get this job coz' it's what I like and my colleagues are pretty friendly and my boss is super nice.... I guess I did kind of taken a few things for granted and started off with a bit of a wrong attitude in my work, which my colleagues noticed and didn't really like about me. Well, only reason I know is coz' my supervisor had a talk with me about some of my behaviours which the others were nitpicking on. Not that I did anything really bad like scold people or totally slack off, but just being a little calculative about how long I work, and certain things I do, and maybe not asking people for things in a very nice manner.... Not that I intend to sound rude. Just that sometimes I jokingly pretend to sound angry and scold people... and my colleagues seem to be the easy going type, so I thought they would understand when I'm fooling around. But maybe they didn't know I was joking around... :P Not like it's the first time people misunderstood me. But anyway, my supervisor didn't scold me or anything, just pointed out these things to me in a nice manner and asked me to try and change a bit so I didn't make anyone feel tension towards me. And though some of the things I did, I agree that I did that I will try not to do them again, some of the other things he pointed out made me confused... He didn't tell me exactly what I had said or did that offended anyone, but just told me some stories of how some previous employees had done some annoying things, and now my colleagues noticed that I 'seemed' to be becoming like that. Then he just said he wouldn't tell me exactly what I did, and just told me to think about it. So I thought about it long and hard over the weekend, wondering why he compared me to those people, and wondering if I did anything as bad as them... and couldn't really think of what I did wrong. So the next working day, I went back and asked him to clarify exactly what I did that offended anyone, and he said that he was actually just telling me about the previous employees, just so I'd know some of the history and so I would try to avoid doing the same thing.... not because I had actually done anything as bad as them. I get the feeling that he was trying not to hurt my feelings, but oh well... I left it at that.
So even though I might not completely understand what exactly I might've done to irk some people, I guess I just have to try and.... well, not irk, people. I went into this job hoping that I would be a good example for Christ, and by the looks of it, I haven't really been. But it's only been a month, so still got plenty of time to try and change for the better.

I do notice that the three other instructors, including my supervisor, are all so close to each other, that I feel a bit left out. Of course, it does take time to build relationships, but the supervisor does say stuff like "We at Mad Science are a family, and we always work together as a team."... but then when we go out for lunch, they talk more among themselves then with me. And a few days ago when we ate at KFC, I ordered my own meal, but the 3 of them bought a big family bucket to share, without asking me if I wanted to share with them. It's not a big thing, but it does make me wonder what their definition of 'family' is. Well, I'm confident enough not to be bugged to much by something like this. My whole world isn't going to come crumbling down just coz' my colleagues don't wanna share a bucket of KFC with me. And it does kind of work to my advantage when boss is at the office coz' while they're all chatting with each other during lunch, I chat more with the boss, and get to understand more on how he ticks. And of course, building good relationship with the boss is always a good thing. ^_^

Anyway, I need to get to bed, and rejuvenate my brains after another day of work and blogging about work. :P

No comments: