Saturday, June 10, 2006

Blogging during the opening game?? How could I???

As I write this, the opening match for the World Cup is going on and approximately half of the human population is in maximum "Gila Bola" mode. By half, I mean almost all of the guys in the world, and quite a few "gila bola" girls as wells. And among those "gila bola" people is Gerald, so I'm expecting to be boyfriendless again for the next one month. :Þ Haha, no lar. I don't think he's that nuts about football and he won't be glued to his tv watching the Sports channels everyday. According to him anyway. I'll find out soon enough. ^_^.

Of course, I'm probably one of the lucky gals. There will be dunno how many millions of married womens or girlfriends in the world who will be getting in touch with singledom again while their men gather together every night to cheer for their teams and stuff themselves with miscellaneous, unhealthy junk food. It seems, from what I read in the papers, that the problem is so bad, domestic tiffs increase and the number of couples that go for marriage counselling during or after (mostly after) the World Cup rises significantly. And the problem doesn't just affect the women-folk, but employers too, as the number of workers who come down with some mysterious ailments rises significantly during the World Cup as well. Hence, they take sick leave, which lower work productivity. Those men who don't take sick leave stay up so late to watch the matches, they are too blurry eyed the next day to think straight at work, which lowers work productivity even more. And then because the men aren't pulling their own weight at work, the working women get indignant at not getting equal 'time off', so they slack off as well to make things fair, thus lowering work productivity even more. So I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies, especially in Asia where our time zones are such that all live matches happen super late at night, will be on the verge of bankcrupcy by the time the Word Cup is over.

The only companies that won't be going bankcrupt will be those smart enough to cash in on the footy season, the most conventional method being selling football paraphernalia or collectibles. But then there are some REALLY innovative people who come up with interesting ways of cashing in. For example, some tour companies create special holiday packages for "Football Widows" to go away somewhere on their own and enjoy life while their hubbies are no longer performing their manly responsibilities at home. Even priests and religious leaders are gonna be busy, giving counselling to bereaved football fans whose teams lose a game. Seriously, I am not making this stuff up! I find it interesting to read that football is practically a religion in some countries. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there who have football altars in their homes and worship the ball everyday, giving offerings or something like that. :Þ

And then there are people like me who could happily sleep right through every single match of the World Cup. And I'm wondering, with so many people all hyped up about football, should I at least take some time to watch the big matches so I won't be so blur when my friends (and boyfriend) talks about the games, or should I just go "To heck with it" and continue on doing my own thing. I'm leaning more towards the latter. But who knows, maybe every now and then when I'm bored, I'll just switch on the t.v. and watch a bit a football game. But since I don't know anything about any teams, the one I'd support would be the team with the hottest guys. :D

No comments: