Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My lovely long New Year holiday!

Oh blimey, it's a whole new year already! Dang, they seem to be coming round faster each time, these new years. Well, at least with new year celebrations, I don't have to worry about what presents I should buy for all my family and friends. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and all, but the Christmas shopping part really gives me a headache. Thinking of the perfect present to buy people always sucks up my brain power. And walking around a shopping complex looking for the perfect present sucks up my energy. And making sure the price is within my budget sucks up even more brain power, lest it sucks up my finances. So all in all, buying presents is a very energy, time and resource-sucking process. Now isn't that sucky? :P

Ok, lame jokes aside, I did enjoy a good Christmas eve dinner party at my church, and I just came back from a very well-deserved long holiday in Tambun with my colleagues, and then in Malacca and Singapore with Gerald. My colleagues and I had a company trip to Tambun's waterpark on the 26th and 27th of December, which wasn't all that great coz' the waterpark wasn't half as good as Sunway Lagoon. We did enjoy going around Ipoh and stuffing our faces with the good food like chicken rice, fried kuey teow and meehoon, and dim sum. And we also went to watch The Curse of the Golden Flower, which really was not a good movie to me. Watching a gazillion people die tragically isn't exactly my idea of good entertainment.

Then I went to Malacca on the 28th of December, and stayed at Gerald's place for couple of nights before the two of us scooted off to Singapore on the 31st for our new year celebrations, where we stayed at his brother and sister-in-law's place. We visited the National Science Centre on our first day there, then the Singapore Zoo on the next day. Both of which I visited last year too, when I was at Singapore with my buddy Kooi Im... but visiting them with my boyfriend is, of course, a different experience. :) And of course, we took a ton of pics as well, which I shall share later on (if I don't procrastinate too long!).

We spent the night of the 31st enjoying a great home-cooked dinner at Gerald's brother's place, together with his neighbours and some of their friends. They called it a barbecue... which for me just means bringing out the slabs of meat and some sausages, throwing them on the grill and that's about the best food we get. I experienced quite a different version with them, coz' in addition to the 'normal' barbequed food like chicken and sausages, we also got some really high class stuff like oysters, mussels, scallops, pasta and some other fancy foods which I'm not even sure what they're called. And they also brought out God-knows how many different types of alcohol, and different glasses for each type of drink. I'm pretty sure I've never drank from so many different types of glasses during one meal in my entire life. Just look at this!



The big glass on the right is for red wine (I drank two glasses of that), the one next to it is for white wine (drank one glass of that), the middle one is for juice (3 glasses), the second one from the left, I can't even remember what it was for, but I drank it anyway, and the smallest one is for Snapps, which was to be drank all one shot and supposedly helped to burn away the pasta we ate. Well, I had two rounds of that. And even after drinking all that, amazingly I still wasn't drunk. Now a lot of people tell me that I might think I'm not drunk when I actually am, but I seriously think I wasn't drunk at all. Up until someone brought out the champagne and filled it into the second glass from the right. After a couple of glass of that, that's when I started to see the world spinning a bit. But I could still walk properly and I didn't throw up, which was good. Cheers, mate!



Well, in addition to celebrating the arrival of a new year, we were also celebrating the birthday of one of the guest's sons. This Swiss guy named Dennis was there with his Chinese wife and 3 sons, and so we all celebrated the birthday together. So here's pic of Dennis at the end of the table, with his wife on the right and 3 kids on the left. The guy on the left is my boyfriend's brother's neighbour (who also cooked many of the yummy dishes for us) and the lady on the right is my boyfriend's brother wife. Yes, I know it's confusing. Don't hurt yourself.



And here's a pic of the 3 boys. Cute little buggers, aren't they?




Now I usually wouldn't bother to put up pics of people I barely know, except that one of the sons had a very interesting ability, which you can see in the next pic...



The little fella has a magnetic nose! He can actually put a spoon on his nose and it will just hang there without dropping off! It works with a big spoon too...



Man, I bet that kid could get on an episode of Ripley's Believe It or Not. Haha! Anyway, it turns out the mother could do it too, so we know where he got it from. Some of the other guests tried to do it, including me. The spoon sticked on my nose for a while, I think it was coz' of the oil on my nose and not coz' of magnetism. LOL! Anyway, I didn't manage to get any nice group pics with all the guests (which now I wish I did), but here's a pic of me with my bf's brother's dogs, Kimmie (left) and Tuesday. Kimmie's a Shih Tzu and Tuesday is a Maltese mix.



And here's a pic of my bf's brother's neighbour's dog, Hesky, which is a silky terrier. He also has another dog called Mango, another Maltese, which I didn't manage to take a picture of. It's kinda cute coz' my bf's brother and his neighbours have no kids, but both have two dogs, so their dogs are like their 'kids' and the kids get to play with each other every now and then. Haha!



Anyway, we ate our merry fill until it was time to countdown to the new year, after which we celebrated with (what else?) more wine and drinking, before we all decided to call it a night. And early the next day, on the 1st day of the new year, Gerald and I went back to Malacca, and then I came back to Subang on the 2nd. Was supposed to go to work today, but on the way back from Malacca yesterday, I think I had some nasty food poisoning and I felt like throwing up several times on the way back. Fortunately I didn't throw up on the bus or on the KTM back to Subang. And though I thought of taking the bus from the KTM station back to my apartment, I was asked my dad to come pick me up instead. Which is good, coz' I ended up puking in my car. Well, not good for my car, but certainly would've been better than puking in a public place like a bus! Of course, I had to clean up my car when I reached home, and my dog as well coz' my dad brought her along when he picked me up, and the poor blighter was sitting on my lap when my tummy decided to purge itself. So anyway, I visited the doc after that and he said that the floods down south might have contaminated the water there, so I probably drank some contaminated water. Yippee. So I took medical leave for today, which means I get another day off. So that means I've been off from work from the 24th of Dec to the 3rd of Jan, a total of 11 days! Whew! I don't think I'll get a long break like that again anytime soon. *Sigh* but unfortunately it's back to work for me tomorrow. All good things must come to an end. But anyway, Happy New Year, people!

No comments: