Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

It's been a week since I sent in my CV to the Singapore Zoo, and I still haven't gotten a reply from them yet. I called them up last Thursday and asked to talk to Charlene Yeong, the research and conservation officer to whom I emailed my CV to, but she wasn't available at the time. The person who took my call did, however, inform Charlene that I called, and I got an email from her later the same day saying that she had sent my CV in to the director of R & C and Zoology. So now I'm waiting for the director guy to look through my CV and decide if he wants to call me in for an interview. I did also apply for a job in another place in Singapore - the Tropical Marine Science Institute, but they told me there was no vacancy. Although they did say they would pass my CV to other researchers around and let me know if anyone was interested to hire me.... which is probably gonna be like never. So I shall continue to wait for the response from the zoo people with fingers crossed. I suppose I should apply to other companies while I wait in case it doesn't work out, but I'm really banking on this job at the zoo and I don't wanna go through the whole long interview process with other companies first until I know what my chances are at the zoo. Besides, when I apply to other places, I have to make myself out to sound like I'm the right person for the job and totally want to work there. If I get interviewed and they decide they wanna hire me, and I ask them to wait while I think about it (which would actually be me waiting for the reply from the zoo), the employers would be like "Hmm... guess she's not so into the job after all" and they might think I'm not the best person for the job. And thus my chances to get that job would be reduced if the zoo thing does not work out. And another reason why I don't wanna apply anywhere else just yet is coz' if my parents know I got job offers from both the zoo and a biotech company, I'm quite sure they'd pressure me to go for the biotech company instead. But if I had an offer from the zoo ONLY, then they might be more willing to let me work there, especially since I didn't get any positive replies from the other places I applied to - or supposedly applied to. Kakaka, yes yes, I know, Carol is a conniving little bugger... But if I can help it, I'd much rather work in a place where I know I have some passion for my work, and that would be working with animals. Besides, Singapore Zoo is a well established place that gets lotsa money from donations and such. I'm sure my pay there wouldn't be pathetic like my parents might think. And after a few years, if I work hard enough, I could get promoted in the R&D department as an officer myself, and make even more money! That would make my parents happy I bet. Would make me happy too, coz' I'd actually love my work. So everyone would be happy!
There is one thing though that makes me hesitant about this job. If I get it, I will be living in Singapore. Which I would be leaving CBC. Sure, I could come back once or twice a month to visit my church on weekends, but it's not quite the same. And I definitely cannot serve as what I'm doing now. I can't play on the worship team (unless I practice the songs myself in Singapore and come play on the Sundays that I'm back. Haha!) and I can't go visit the children's home, and I just joined the children's ministry, so I can't even do that anymore too (unless, again I only do that on the Sundays I'm back). And I'm actually feeling pretty crappy about that now that I think about it. On one hand, I feel like a change of environment and forcing myself to be independant might be a good thing for me. On the other hand, there's a heap of stuff I'm committed to at my church here, plus all my friends are here too, so maybe I should stay. Bleh, dilemma dilemma. Of course, I did pray about it, and of course I know that God knows what's best for me and where I should be. So even though I really want this job at the Singapore Zoo, I told Him that if He wants me to stay, then let me get a negative response from the zoo people and I won't apply for any more jobs in Singapore. But if I get a job offer, I will go. Simple as that. So I guess I'm not just waiting now for a reply from the zoo, but a reply from God? Ooohh, the suspense is killing me. :P

No comments: