Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Back to Monash again!

I finally got round to updating my sidebar thingy with latest bits of info of what I'm actually up to. Hehe. I kinda wanna change my scroller message at the bottom, but I'm still too lazy to think of something stupid to write. Any suggestions are most welcome. :P
Anyway, I found out that there is no opening available for me at the Singapore Zoo, although the research and conservation officer I was corresponding with said she would keep me in mind if a position became available. I don't know if she actually will, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that soon they will call me in for an interview. In the meantime, I've decided to work part time with one of my Monash lecturers, a very nice environmental management lecturer named Dr. Cathy Yule. I know I'm gonna enjoy working with her, not only coz' she's nice and allows me to come and go for work whenever I choose, but also coz' her kind of research is the kind I'm most interested in - research on the environment. This Wednesday, I'll be going with her and another fellow research assistant, my buddy Yong, to visit the Kuala Selangor peat swamp to collect water samples containing insect larvae. Then we'll have to sort out the insects and identify them according to genus and hopefully species, and probably even find some new species along the way. If I can find a new species, she might get it named after me... so there will be a species of insect out there in Kuala Selangor peat swamp named Carolinus or something like that. Haha! As if. Anyway, I think working for my lecturer is gonna be good coz' it would be something nice to put on my CV, and I get research experience while being PAID for it, whereas if I do honours, I do a heckuva lot more work and have to pay Monash to do honours. Of course, I don't get a nice piece of paper saying I graduated with honours, but bleh, having work experience is probably just as good as having honours anyway. And since it's not full time, I still have time to bum around and play video games, as well as continue my job hunting too, of course. :D Of course, the down side is that I have to go back to Monash AGAIN for my work, which isn't a very exciting prospect considering I've been in that place for the past four freakin' years. Oh well, I guess I'll survive another few more months....

No comments: