Thursday, June 05, 2008

Rushing for fuel

I've usually try to make it a point to avoid getting political on my blog, as there are enough blogs out there doing that. However, certain circumstances call for a break in my resolve. Like tonight.

If it isn't bad enough that the government insists a petrol price hike is necessary to 'supposedly' divert subsidies into more important areas that will help the poor (somehow I have a feeling that isn't going to happen, but only time will tell), some monkeys decided it would be a fun idea to announce a price hike of petrol from RM1.92 to RM2.70....starting from midnight tonight. And it seems the announcement was only made during the evening news, as I received a barrage of sms-es telling me to go fuel up tonight only after 8pm. I was with a friend at the time, watching a movie at One Utama, and both of us thought it was just a rumour at first coz' we didn't think the government would be so dumb as to make such a sudden announcement on the petrol price hike.

Sad to say, apparently the government is that dumb. On the way home after the movie, I got stuck in a massive jam along the LDP, and found that EVERY single petrol station I passed by was jammed packed with cars, rushing to buy petrol before the price went up. And I was extremely sleepy too, so much that by the time I finally hit Subang, I could barely keep my eyes open while driving and I was quite worried that I would fall asleep at the wheel. Fortunately, I made it home in one piece.

So naturally, the thing I'm wondering now is who came up with the ingenious idea of announcing a petrol price hike a mere 4 hours before the increase takes effect? Couldn't they at least announce it a few days beforehand to give people time to prepare? Did they not predict a huge rush of people scurrying like mad chickens to buy petrol? Or did they purposely announce it so last minute to prevent everyone from rushing to buy cheaper petrol and severely depleting the supply? Whatever it is, it was an extreme inconvenience for a lot of people... and I'm sure there were a lot of poor souls out there who were desperately low on petrol and couldn't fill up on time coz' of this mad rush. I wonder where the Opposition leaders were when this was announced. The people voted them in hoping for life to become better, and instead it seems as though they're just as bad as the devils before them. *Sigh* Migrating to another country sounds even more appealing than usual right now...

3 comments:

cell said...

it was the BN govt who decided to do this, not the opposition leaders. it is the PM's fault!

Carol said...

Yah, I know. But Opposition is supposed to fight for us. They must fightfightfightfightFIIIIGHT. With boxing gloves, if they have to. They gotta have at least SOME power in the government, you know, after taking over almost half the states in peninsular.*Sigh*

Anonymous said...

we cannot expect the opposition govt to change the world in one fell swoop. it doesn't work that way. And corruption takes years, even decades, to clean up. Personally, I believe that there is something big happening or Badawi wouldn't make such a sudden announcement.